Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dinner with Max

So, the other day the girls and I make BLT's for dinner. This would probably be an un-blog-worthy event in most households but, alas, we live with Max.

To give a short background on Maxwell's eating habits, you should know that the first time he had a BLT was in July, and yes, there was watermelon on the table. You know, for that part of your plate NEXT to the sandwich. But no, Max had to put it inside. With the bacon. So I guess it was really a BW because there was nothing else in between his two pieces of whole wheat bread. You should also know that Max loathes mayonnaise. Like, seriously, wouldn't eat it if it was the last thing on earth.

It all started with Maddy asking, in a very frantic tone of voice, if I had watermelon for Max's "BLT". She knows there is no watermelon to be found in December, and that's not even the weird part of this story. She knew Max only eats his "BLT"'s with watermelon so, of course, she's concerned. It's Maddy's purpose in life to annoy Max and to accomplish that thoroughly, you must pay attention to details (although Max makes it pretty easy for her to not miss anything with all the noise he makes when injustice finds it's way to his corner of the world. You know, like no watermelon on BLT night). I assured Maddy that Max would be just fine without watermelon for his sanwich and we proceeded preparing dinner. I'd almost forgotten about the watermelon when Max sat down at the table. The conversation went like this:

Max: BLT's! Yes! Hey, where's the watermelon?
Mom: Really, Max? You'll be fine. Here's your bread.

Mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato are then passed around the table. I'm passing the mayo to Eugene when Max says: Is that any good?

Dad: Yeah.
Max: Can I try some?

Eugene puts some on his finger. He tastes it and says: Hey, that's actually not gross.

I have to admit, I'm not paying all that much attention to Max at this point, (if you tried to keep up with Max at the dinner table, you'd never have time to actually consume any food), so I'm a little surprised to look up and see Max spreading mayo on both pieces of his bread.

Mom: You know Max, you have to eat that now, even if you don't like it.
Max: I know.

I then see him reach for the bowl of blackberries and strawberries and I just know that he's going to put them inside his sandwich with the bacon and the mayo.

Mom: Max, don't put the fruit in your sandwich. That's gross.
Max: Why? I like fruit.
Mom: Fruit and mayo don't go together.
Max: This is Mayonnaise?!

Really.

2 comments:

  1. I really miss the dinner time Max stories that your mom used to tell me. I'm going to have to remember to keep checking your blog. I always forget to check Brittany's so she always has to remind me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jamie, you're actually a very entertaining writer. I don't know if it's because I know you and your family personally so I can picture the story of Max at the table, or that I have kids of my own that I can picture doing this (yes....Brooke is on her fifth month of being a vegetarian), but I enjoyed reading the whole posting and am looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete